It’s been 6 months in IIM Kashipur now and a lot of things have changed. The journey which was looking tough and hectic in the initial days is now a habit. There is a common saying, “Wine improves with age, the older it gets, the better it tastes” which is exactly implied in my journey here in IIM. As time went by on campus, I gradually got a hang of it, and of course, a lot of things have been changed a positive change!
My 5 key takeaways from the IIM Kashipur journey till now:
- Honouring Deadlines: “Goals are dreams with deadlines.” ― Diana Scharf
One of the sacrosanct rules at IIMs is “Punctuality”. If you’re going to a project presentation or placement process, login/arrive early. Don’t miss deadlines, not even by a single second. If you have a deadline approaching, make sure you have enough time on hand to avoid being unable to submit due to sluggish internet. Sometimes it would feel too hectic but this is how I refined my time management skills which will later help me incorporate handling multiple projects and reports within deadlines.
2. Leadership and Teamwork: IIM Kashipur is a student-run campus where from academic to non-academic things, there is a student body. Being part of such a student-driven ecosystem helps you to mold yourself into a team player and ability to take initiative.
3. Being Easy to work with: Being easy to work with is such an underrated skill but very crucial when you work in a team. While working on group projects, I acquired this quality by sharing information openly and promptly and keeping team members updated as the project progressed. Active listening and accountability during group projects helped me to improve my productivity through teamwork.
4. Turning knowledge into practice through Live Project: “Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice.” – Anton Chekhov. IIM Kashipur strongly believes in ‘Learning by Doing’ via frequent industry interactions and live projects. MBA is not a normal bookish degree were reading things a day before the exam will help. Management is all about what you read and see around every day. That’s why implementing what you learn in business problems is important. IIM Kashipur provides this business problem-solving exposure through live projects. I have done two live projects till now, one with TDG Partners where I learned how to launch a new product, and one with elearnmarket.com, a financial courses platform where I learned to implement referral marketing strategies for growth strategy.
5. Quality peers: In IIMs you learn more from your peers than regular books and classroom teaching. I gain a lot of knowledge through sharing my views with others and participating in events where I may learn from my peers. I met people from different backgrounds and studies with different points of view who helped me in every aspect of my life here at IIM. So today if I need help, I just need to call someone out of 350 batchmates and my problem will get resolved. This quality group of peers is also important when you participate in corporate case competitions in groups.
Finally “IIM in the North” – IIM Kashipur is somewhere I’d like to spend as much time as possible and witness the breezing lush green campus with advanced infrastructure. I want to learn everything I can from the many different experiences here to be a better, more mature person who can balance his personal and professional lives.